special offer: If you purchase both this class and Adobe Pen Tool Workshop in the same transaction, you'll be charged only $49 for the second one (saving $100)! Note that both must be in your cart at checkout.
How do image editing programs, drawing programs, and page layout programs all fit together? What does each do? What do I do with my fonts? What the heck is "dpi" anyway?
In this class, we give you the bird's eye view of desktop publishing workflows. We'll discuss image fundamentals and manipulation in Photoshop, the creation of simple graphics in Illustrator, and learn how those elements combine in InDesign with text for effective page layout. Along the way we'll cover those important but elusive concepts (above) that everyone needs. If these are already familiar, you should skip this class.
who should take this class?
- You! If you're new to computer graphics
- Those who are contemplating a job in desktop publishing
- Those preparing to learn Photoshop: get the basic concepts like resolution, color, and pixel pushing, so you can focus on the program's tools in our Photoshop classes
- Those preparing to learn Illustrator: understand the nature and use of vector graphics so you can focus on the program's tools in our Illustrator classes
- Those preparing to learn InDesign: understand what's behind page layout—combining images and text—and be forewarned about its pitfalls
- Those who want to get the most out of any single application in Adobe's Creative Suite—or all of them!
- Those of you already in the industry, but with lingering "basic" questions
what we cover
(always customized for the students in attendance):
- What is resolution and why should I care?
- pixels, scanning, and other digital capture understood
- dots and printing
- how much data is enough?
- how much is too much?
- Drawing vs Pixel-Pushing
- know when to use "vector" graphics or pixels
- why are JPEGs poor choices for my logos?
- Key concepts used in Photoshop
- basics of retouching
- basics of color correction
- resampling: changing how much data an image has
- Page Layout: laid out plain and simple
- fonts and basic typographic terminology
- combining text and graphics
- InDesign fundamentals
- Ink on paper and lights in your eyes
- understand ink vs light: CMYK and RGB
- what to ask your output vendor
- File formats
- TIFF, JPEG, EPS, and so many more: decoded
- Q & A
- other resources recommended
Desktop Publishing Overview—one–half day— $149
To register, click on a starting date
At Luminous Works, you get . . .
- Free class refresher within 12 months...
- Take it again! Within 12 months of any class that is still offered in that time, just get in touch and let us know when you want to audit. If there's a seat available, it's yours. Please read the full details
- Bring home your work...
- Bring home your class files so you can practice what you learn with us. These training files often contain valuable tips and procedures, as well as what you may have created during class. Whether you want to show off the images from your photography class, the chapter you built in your InDesign training class, or you want to explore those features we covered in your Illustrator training class, or perhaps you want to post the site you built in your Dreamweaver training class, you'll have the resources to review and cherish your hard work..
- Mac OS or Windows...
- All of our computers can run your operating system of choice.
- Small class sizes—by design...
- We pride ourselves on our ability to tailor training examples and emphases on the fly. Since we strictly limit class size, you will not be just another head to count, but rather a learner with whom we're communicating.
- Carefully crafted curricula...
- Constantly updated and refined, and never canned. Here, you'll never be subjected to a mass-produced workbook that is geared for the lowest common denominator. Instead, each class exercise is evaluated and tweaked to be effective and often fun.
We teach the bulk of the Adobe Creative Suite, but that's not the whole story. We also teach classes in photographic workflows, and several classes on "the basics" to get you started in web or desktop publishing. And since we have intentionally small class sizes, we can adapt a course's curriculum on the fly to accommodate that day's attendees. We teach people, not workstations.
- Convenient & comfortable location...
- From the lighting to the full kitchen for lunch and breaks; from your choice of operating system to the expansive deck for catching your breath, you'll feel right at home while you learn. Students even ask us where they can buy our chairs! We're easily accessible from anywhere in the Seattle region.
- Adobe Certified Expert instruction
- Luminous Works classes focusing on Adobe software are taught by Adobe Certified Experts; those who've both mastered the applications they teach and pass rigorous exams to prove it.
We've all heard of knowledgeable experts who haven't the ability to impart their knowledge. You won't encounter that here.