special offer: If you purchase both this class and Desktop Publishing Overview in the same transaction, you'll be charged only $49 for this one (saving $100)! Note that both must be in your cart at checkout.
The key tool in drawing digitally, the Pen Tool, is now found in Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign, and Flash. Master it once, and use it universally. It is with the Pen tool that you create paths on which to run text and to precisely create lines to enclose any shape no matter how exotic.
Many users of other drawing programs (e.g., Freehand) will already be familiar with the behavior of this tool. However, those who are new to drawing should spend these few hours with us in preparation for learning the other aspects of applications like Adobe Illustrator.
Not sure what the Pen Tool is? Open up any of the Adobe applications mentioned above, and look in the Tool panel (left side of your screen). Do you see a fountain pen nib? That's the Pen Tool!
This is NOT a class about drawing tablets or other hardware.
who should take this class?
- You! If you need to draw digitally
- Those who need to make "Clipping Paths"
- Logo and type designers
- Illustrators and those who need to learn Adobe Illustrator
- Photoshop users who want another way to make super-precise selections
what we cover
(always customized for the students in attendance):
- Path anatomy
- anchor points
- Bézier concepts
- Moving paths from applicationt to application
- when to copy, when to export
- which options to chose when pasting and placing
- Tips & Rules of Thumb
- how many points are enough? too many?
- time-saving keyboard shortcuts and modifiers
- how precise to be or not to be
- Time to do and practice
- use these new skills with the instructor close-by
- put the theory into practice
- Use the Pen in different applications
- use paths to control InDesign features
- create vector objects in Illustrator
- see how Photoshop differs in behavior and purpose
Adobe Pen Tool Workshop—one–half day— $149
To register, click on a starting date
At Luminous Works, you get . . .
- Free class refresher within 12 months...
- Take it again! Within 12 months of any class that is still offered in that time, just get in touch and let us know when you want to audit. If there's a seat available, it's yours. Please read the full details
- Bring home your work...
- Bring home your class files so you can practice what you learn with us. These training files often contain valuable tips and procedures, as well as what you may have created during class. Whether you want to show off the images from your photography class, the chapter you built in your InDesign training class, or you want to explore those features we covered in your Illustrator training class, or perhaps you want to post the site you built in your Dreamweaver training class, you'll have the resources to review and cherish your hard work..
- Mac OS or Windows...
- All of our computers can run your operating system of choice.
- Small class sizes—by design...
- We pride ourselves on our ability to tailor training examples and emphases on the fly. Since we strictly limit class size, you will not be just another head to count, but rather a learner with whom we're communicating.
- Carefully crafted curricula...
- Constantly updated and refined, and never canned. Here, you'll never be subjected to a mass-produced workbook that is geared for the lowest common denominator. Instead, each class exercise is evaluated and tweaked to be effective and often fun.
We teach the bulk of the Adobe Creative Suite, but that's not the whole story. We also teach classes in photographic workflows, and several classes on "the basics" to get you started in web or desktop publishing. And since we have intentionally small class sizes, we can adapt a course's curriculum on the fly to accommodate that day's attendees. We teach people, not workstations.
- Convenient & comfortable location...
- From the lighting to the full kitchen for lunch and breaks; from your choice of operating system to the expansive deck for catching your breath, you'll feel right at home while you learn. Students even ask us where they can buy our chairs! We're easily accessible from anywhere in the Seattle region.
- Adobe Certified Expert instruction
- Luminous Works classes focusing on Adobe software are taught by Adobe Certified Experts; those who've both mastered the applications they teach and pass rigorous exams to prove it.
We've all heard of knowledgeable experts who haven't the ability to impart their knowledge. You won't encounter that here.