You should have some basic photography skills and be familiar with the following terms and concepts:
- shutter speed
- aperture and f-stop
This online tutorial may be helpful as would a basic photography class.
Instructor: Navin Kulshreshtha
Most of today's digital cameras will allow you to shoot HD video with minimal gear. In fact, DSLR cameras (still cameras) are currently being used professionally to film broadcast-quality TV shows, commercials and videos. Our one-day crash course will get you up to speed quickly, giving you the necessary skills to immediately begin shooting your own films and videos. Our instructor—an experienced filmmaker—covers the essentials of shooting video, including: cameras, lenses, microphones, lighting, video formats and more.
Who Should Take This Class
- Experienced still photographers who want to transition to shooting video in order to open up new career possibilities
- Photographers with at least basic photography skills who want to explore shooting video
- Content creators, storytellers, marketing and communication professionals
what we cover—in detail
(always customized for the students in attendance)
- Video Cameras
- DSLR cameras for video
- Gear Basics
- Tripods and Stabilizers
- Eyepieces, Loupes
- Other options
- What is HD video?
- frame rate
- aspect ratio
- international standards (NTSC, PAL etc.)
- Elements of Audio
- different types of connectors (XLR, 1/4 inch, mini)
- sampling frequency
- bit depth
- audio recorders
- Shooting Great Video
- White Balance
- Shutter Speed
- Depth of Field
- 3-point lighting
- The Video Shoot (Hands-on)
- setting up camera and tripod
- setting up microphones and audio recorder
- setting up lighting
- composition and framing
- controlling depth of field
- on-set protocols for recording audio and video
- room tone
- conducting an interview
- shooting B-roll
- Preparing for the Edit
- transferring and organizing media
- looking at and logging clips
- discussion of editing options for both Mac and Windows
For hands-on editing, see our Video Editing with Adobe Premiere Pro class
- Photography: Digital Camera Skills:
Learn photography and create great images without getting lost in the technology.
- Video Editing with Premiere Pro CC:
Edit video like a pro and share your movies with the world!
- Lightroom Photo Workflow:
Learn to flow with this powerful and popular digital photographic tool in this thorough, 2-day class. We'll talk about Lightroom's full capabilities, its strengths and limitations, from import and organizing, through development and output to print, web, geocoding, books, and presentation.
- Photoshop CC Essentials :
We'll examine the most important aspects of this application emphasizing best practices: from image and adjustment layers, to basic selections, masking, and effects.
- Photoshop CC Photo Workflow:
You already know the basics, now craft your images to exact specifications starting with import, through precise adjustments, HDR, Camera Raw, and more.