No equipment is necessary to take the class! We will have several cameras that will be used for demonstrations. Students do not have to own a camera for this class to be relevant.
Instructor: Navin Kulshreshtha
Our one-day crash course will introduce you to the exciting new world of digital filmmaking. We cover all of the basics to get you up and running quickly, including: cameras, lenses, audio, lighting, video formats and more. The class is taught by an experienced filmmaker. Most of today's digital cameras will allow you to shoot HD video with minimal gear. In fact, DSLR cameras (still cameras) are currently being used professionally to film broadcast-quality TV shows, commercials and videos. This class will get you up to speed quickly and give you the necessary skills to start shooting your own films and videos immediately.
- Experienced still photographers who want to transition to video
- Beginner photographers who want to get a handle on shooting video
- Anyone interested in digital filmmaking
DSLR Filmmaking Outline:
- Video Cameras
- DSLR cameras for video
- Tripods and Stabilizers
- Eyepieces, Loupes
- Other options
- What is HD video?
- frame rate
- aspect ratio
- international standards (NTSC, PAL etc.)
- Audio Basics
- different types of connectors (XLR, 1/4 inch, mini)
- sampling frequency
- bit depth
- audio recorders
- Shooting Great Video
- White Balance
- Shutter Speed
- Depth of Field
- 3-point lighting
- The Video Shoot (Hands-on)
- setting up camera and tripod
- setting up microphones and audio recorder
- setting up lighting
- composition and framing
- controlling depth of field
- on-set protocols for recording audio and video
- room tone
- conducting an interview
- shooting B-roll
- Preparing for the Edit
For hands-on editing, see our Video Editing with Adobe Premiere Pro class
- transferring and organizing media
- looking at and logging clips
- discussion of editing options for both Mac and Windows
Digital Filmmaking—one day— $275
To register, click on a starting date
At Luminous Works, you get . . .
- Free class refresher within 12 months...
- Take it again! Within 12 months of any class that is still offered in that time, just get in touch and let us know when you want to audit. If there's a seat available, it's yours. Please read the full details
- Bring home your work...
- Bring home your class files so you can practice what you learn with us. These training files often contain valuable tips and procedures, as well as what you may have created during class. Whether you want to show off the images from your photography class, the chapter you built in your InDesign training class, or you want to explore those features we covered in your Illustrator training class, or perhaps you want to post the site you built in your Dreamweaver training class, you'll have the resources to review and cherish your hard work..
- Mac OS or Windows...
- All of our computers can run your operating system of choice.
- Small class sizes—by design...
- We pride ourselves on our ability to tailor training examples and emphases on the fly. Since we strictly limit class size, you will not be just another head to count, but rather a learner with whom we're communicating.
- Carefully crafted curricula...
- Constantly updated and refined, and never canned. Here, you'll never be subjected to a mass-produced workbook that is geared for the lowest common denominator. Instead, each class exercise is evaluated and tweaked to be effective and often fun.
We teach the bulk of the Adobe Creative Suite, but that's not the whole story. We also teach classes in photographic workflows, and several classes on "the basics" to get you started in web or desktop publishing. And since we have intentionally small class sizes, we can adapt a course's curriculum on the fly to accommodate that day's attendees. We teach people, not workstations.
- Convenient & comfortable location...
- From the lighting to the full kitchen for lunch and breaks; from your choice of operating system to the expansive deck for catching your breath, you'll feel right at home while you learn. Students even ask us where they can buy our chairs! We're easily accessible from anywhere in the Seattle region.
- Adobe Certified Expert instruction
- Luminous Works classes focusing on Adobe software are taught by Adobe Certified Experts; those who've both mastered the applications they teach and pass rigorous exams to prove it.
We've all heard of knowledgeable experts who haven't the ability to impart their knowledge. You won't encounter that here.