It's hard to make 6 hours of computer work fun and interesting, but Steve was able to keep it engaging and informative for the duration. I have a hard time sitting still and listening for that long, so it was much appreciated!
- HTML Overview student
How do the acronyms of web design become websites? HTML, xHTML, CSS, PHP, div, ul, swf, li, and dozens more combine, often under the protective cover of software applications like Dreamweaver, to make the web interfaces we see every day. In this class we digest this alphabet soup with a particular focus on the two most important acronyms: HTML and CSS.
Even though web design software has made it easier to generate the code underlying all web sites, it doesn't make the code any less necessary to understand. So, we'll get you through what we sometimes call "structured gibberish" and make a simple website that we can be proud of—and understand!
who should take this class?
- You! If you're new to web design
- Web concepts for the curious (and you)
- Those who are contemplating a job in web design or maintenance
- Artists, designers, photographers who need to speak to web designers intelligently and knowledgeably
- Those trying to get in touch with their inner geek
- Those preparing to learn Dreamweaver: understand what's under the hood before getting in too deep
what we cover
Along the way we'll cover those important but elusive concepts that everyone needs to create and edit websites more effectively.
- Registering a domain name and arranging a host for your site
- Site Content vs Structure vs Behavior
- The relationships between HTML and Cascading Style Sheets (CSS) and how to use them
- Browser support (or the lack thereof)
- Ways to control how your site looks on mobile devices
- What is "Responsive Design" and why should I care?
- Evaluating how much to do yourself vs hiring a pro
- Testing your site
- If a pro built your site, can you maintain it?
- Hands-on HTML: learn the code you need
- Q & A—anytime!
HTML and CSS Overview—one day— $199
To register, click on a starting date
At Luminous Works, you get . . .
- Free class refresher within 12 months...
- Take it again! Within 12 months of any class that is still offered in that time, just get in touch and let us know when you want to audit. If there's a seat available, it's yours. Please read the full details
- Bring home your work...
- Bring home your class files so you can practice what you learn with us. These training files often contain valuable tips and procedures, as well as what you may have created during class. Whether you want to show off the images from your photography class, the chapter you built in your InDesign training class, or you want to explore those features we covered in your Illustrator training class, or perhaps you want to post the site you built in your Dreamweaver training class, you'll have the resources to review and cherish your hard work..
- Mac OS or Windows...
- All of our computers can run your operating system of choice.
- Small class sizes—by design...
- We pride ourselves on our ability to tailor training examples and emphases on the fly. Since we strictly limit class size, you will not be just another head to count, but rather a learner with whom we're communicating.
- Carefully crafted curricula...
- Constantly updated and refined, and never canned. Here, you'll never be subjected to a mass-produced workbook that is geared for the lowest common denominator. Instead, each class exercise is evaluated and tweaked to be effective and often fun.
We teach the bulk of the Adobe Creative Suite, but that's not the whole story. We also teach classes in photographic workflows, and several classes on "the basics" to get you started in web or desktop publishing. And since we have intentionally small class sizes, we can adapt a course's curriculum on the fly to accommodate that day's attendees. We teach people, not workstations.
- Convenient & comfortable location...
- From the lighting to the full kitchen for lunch and breaks; from your choice of operating system to the expansive deck for catching your breath, you'll feel right at home while you learn. Students even ask us where they can buy our chairs! We're easily accessible from anywhere in the Seattle region.
- Adobe Certified Expert instruction
- Luminous Works classes focusing on Adobe software are taught by Adobe Certified Experts; those who've both mastered the applications they teach and pass rigorous exams to prove it.
We've all heard of knowledgeable experts who haven't the ability to impart their knowledge. You won't encounter that here.