If you are completely new to professional Desktop Publishing software, or if your experience is limited to Microsoft Office products, you should be familiar with the basic concepts and vocabulary covered in our Desktop Publishing Overview. If the topics outlined for that class are familiar, you're ready for this one!
what we cover
InDesign is Adobe's premiere desktop publishing design and layout application. With hands-on projects, harness InDesign's powerful tools for layout and design, use colors correctly and create consistent and amazing type. Apply art from Adobe Illustrator and Adobe Photoshop, and learn to control output to print and Acrobat PDF. Learn InDesign through hands-on projects.
(always customized for the students in attendance):
- Working with type and text formatting
- understand and use type features like kerning, leading, and more
- choosing fonts
- hyphenation and justification
- working with figures: make numbers pretty
- tabs for power spacing
- bullets and numbering
- Building Character and Paragraph Styles for quick global editing of typography
- understanding why to use styles
- the many ways to build styles, and when to choose each
- nesting styles for quick, complex formatting of text
- Using master pages
- master pages: templates within a publication
- page numbers, running headers, and other page gear
- mastering the relationship of master pages and the pages that use them
- Best ways to create and configure documents
- create document presets
- understanding slugs, picas, and other "creatures"
- why bleed is good
- margins, guides, grids, and best design practices
- Using supplied text content
- MS Word
- plain text isn't so simple sometimes
- cleaning up badly formatted text efficiently
- converting well formatted text carefully
- Placing various graphics formats
- when to use TIFF, Illustrator, and Photoshop Documents
- know your options and control them
- managing links: editing placed files, deciding on color modes (RGB, CMYK) and more
- Using basic shapes & color
- a touch of Illustrator in InDesign
- expert alignment of graphics
- efficiency tips
- Control color with swatches; sharing colors across applications
- spot vs process color
- flat color and gradient swatches
- pulling color from photos to use in your layout
- Building and importing basic tables
- Is it like Excel?
- making it easy next time: Table Styles
- headers, fancy fills and strokes and other matters
- Control your workspace
- controlling the panel/palette glut
- know how and when to pick different units of measurement
- menus vs panels vs keyboard shortcuts
- customizing menus, panels, and shortcuts
- page numbering options
- Building documents of any size
- how to control your pages and spreads
- numbering & rearranging pages
- understand InDesign's Pages panel
InDesign CS6 Essentials—two days— $525
To register, click on a starting date
At Luminous Works, you get . . .
- Free class refresher within 12 months...
- Take it again! Within 12 months of any class that is still offered in that time, just get in touch and let us know when you want to audit. If there's a seat available, it's yours. Please read the full details
- Bring home your work...
- Bring home your class files so you can practice what you learn with us. These training files often contain valuable tips and procedures, as well as what you may have created during class. Whether you want to show off the images from your photography class, the chapter you built in your InDesign training class, or you want to explore those features we covered in your Illustrator training class, or perhaps you want to post the site you built in your Dreamweaver training class, you'll have the resources to review and cherish your hard work..
- Mac OS or Windows...
- All of our computers can run your operating system of choice.
- Small class sizes—by design...
- We pride ourselves on our ability to tailor training examples and emphases on the fly. Since we strictly limit class size, you will not be just another head to count, but rather a learner with whom we're communicating.
- Carefully crafted curricula...
- Constantly updated and refined, and never canned. Here, you'll never be subjected to a mass-produced workbook that is geared for the lowest common denominator. Instead, each class exercise is evaluated and tweaked to be effective and often fun.
We teach the bulk of the Adobe Creative Suite, but that's not the whole story. We also teach classes in photographic workflows, and several classes on "the basics" to get you started in web or desktop publishing. And since we have intentionally small class sizes, we can adapt a course's curriculum on the fly to accommodate that day's attendees. We teach people, not workstations.
- Convenient & comfortable location...
- From the lighting to the full kitchen for lunch and breaks; from your choice of operating system to the expansive deck for catching your breath, you'll feel right at home while you learn. Students even ask us where they can buy our chairs! We're easily accessible from anywhere in the Seattle region.
- Adobe Certified Expert instruction
- Luminous Works classes focusing on Adobe software are taught by Adobe Certified Experts; those who've both mastered the applications they teach and pass rigorous exams to prove it.
We've all heard of knowledgeable experts who haven't the ability to impart their knowledge. You won't encounter that here.