Move beyond the basics and learn how to master this powerful, flexible product to its best advantage. In this intermediate level class, we differentiate the functions of master pages, libraries, templates, and the various styles. We determine how to use each to its best advantage, and how to combine them in a publication. We also tame other pro-level features required to build robust publications for a variety of traditional and mobile media. Specifically:
what we cover
(always customized for the students in attendance):
- Advanced Paragraph Styles
- building sophisticated Nested and Line Styles
- GREP styles (which go far beyond mere "find/replace") to consistently format predicted content
- It can do that?! Keep Options and more
- Anchored Objects
- attach images and text frames to a postion in your text
- create your own fancy drop caps
- master this key feature of ePubs
- Object styles
- take global control of graphic and text frames
- standardize attributes like shadows, text frame inset, colors, strokes, and much more
- use object styles with anchored objects for powerful and flexible layouts
- Learn how to use InDesign's Book features
- creating and using book files
- pitfalls and how to avoid them
- book files for more than just books!
- Tables of Contents and Cross References
- build TOCs quickly and reliably
- reference captions and other text with auto-updating page numbers and more
- prepare your print publication for ePub
- Libraries and Snippets
- saving your InDesign assets for later use
- keep coworkers in the loop with shared assets
- want to email page guides to someone? Didn't think so, but you could send those and any other page structure
- Truly master Master Pages
- the difference between overriding and detaching
- masters applied to masters: how much is too much?
- markers, text variables, and masters
- Templates vs Layers vs Libraries vs Styles: strategizing the building of documents
- Build reliable templates that speed up production
- turn a cacaphony of features into a harmonious workflow
- developing your optimal workflow
InDesign CS6 Strategies—one day— $275
To register, click on a starting date
At Luminous Works, you get . . .
- Free class refresher within 12 months...
- Take it again! Within 12 months of any class that is still offered in that time, just get in touch and let us know when you want to audit. If there's a seat available, it's yours. Please read the full details
- Bring home your work...
- Bring home your class files so you can practice what you learn with us. These training files often contain valuable tips and procedures, as well as what you may have created during class. Whether you want to show off the images from your photography class, the chapter you built in your InDesign training class, or you want to explore those features we covered in your Illustrator training class, or perhaps you want to post the site you built in your Dreamweaver training class, you'll have the resources to review and cherish your hard work..
- Mac OS or Windows...
- All of our computers can run your operating system of choice.
- Small class sizes—by design...
- We pride ourselves on our ability to tailor training examples and emphases on the fly. Since we strictly limit class size, you will not be just another head to count, but rather a learner with whom we're communicating.
- Carefully crafted curricula...
- Constantly updated and refined, and never canned. Here, you'll never be subjected to a mass-produced workbook that is geared for the lowest common denominator. Instead, each class exercise is evaluated and tweaked to be effective and often fun.
We teach the bulk of the Adobe Creative Suite, but that's not the whole story. We also teach classes in photographic workflows, and several classes on "the basics" to get you started in web or desktop publishing. And since we have intentionally small class sizes, we can adapt a course's curriculum on the fly to accommodate that day's attendees. We teach people, not workstations.
- Convenient & comfortable location...
- From the lighting to the full kitchen for lunch and breaks; from your choice of operating system to the expansive deck for catching your breath, you'll feel right at home while you learn. Students even ask us where they can buy our chairs! We're easily accessible from anywhere in the Seattle region.
- Adobe Certified Expert instruction
- Luminous Works classes focusing on Adobe software are taught by Adobe Certified Experts; those who've both mastered the applications they teach and pass rigorous exams to prove it.
We've all heard of knowledgeable experts who haven't the ability to impart their knowledge. You won't encounter that here.