You understand the basics: shapes, the transformation tools (scaling, rotating, etc.), using text, the essentials of Live Paint and Live Trace. In this class we learn how to combine paths and strategically alter them to make the most elaborate and precise illustrations. We'll also teach you plenty of useful tips and techniques for working more efficiently in this program. Make the difference between a good start and a finished piece — and improve your work output by learning the best ways to create a wide variety of graphics.
what we cover
(always customized for the students in attendance):
- Multiple strokes and fills
- "simple" shapes made complex
- reuse even the most sophisticated appearance attributes easily
- Perspective Grid
- create 1, 2, and 3 point perspective
- learn the strengths and weaknesses of this new feature
- A deeper look at Live Color
- use color harmonies
- take advantage of different color models to find your perfect color palette
- restrict an entire, full color illustration to just a few spot colors
- share colors with other Adobe applications
- Custom Brushes
- calligraphy brushes
- sprinkle artwork along your paths
- simulate raster brushes and traditional media
- turn simple paths into artwork (like our fun pretzel pencil)
- have your frequently used graphics close at hand
- reuse artwork
- update maps and other large illustrations quickly
- keep your complex pieces relatively lightweight
- Raster Effects: nondestructive Photoshop-like effects
- create soft edges on your vector artwork
- create 3-D art from the simplest shapes
- simple patterns
- geometric patterns
- organic, seamless patterns
- morph shapes into other forms
- shade with precision and subtlety
- add texture
- create many from a few: drawing with blends
- Sculpt with the Gradient Mesh
- use a few vector paths to create complex shading effects
- Envelope Distortions
- alter the shape and size of even your most complex artwork
- how to create manageable envelope meshes
- thinking ahead: building art with envelopes in mind
- clipping masks: using shapes to hide unwanted content
- opacity masks: Photoshop layer masks find their way into Illustrator
- pitfalls, benefits, and do's and don'ts
Illustrator CS6 Strategies—one day— $275
To register, click on a starting date
At Luminous Works, you get . . .
- Free class refresher within 12 months...
- Take it again! Within 12 months of any class that is still offered in that time, just get in touch and let us know when you want to audit. If there's a seat available, it's yours. Please read the full details
- Bring home your work...
- Bring home your class files so you can practice what you learn with us. These training files often contain valuable tips and procedures, as well as what you may have created during class. Whether you want to show off the images from your photography class, the chapter you built in your InDesign training class, or you want to explore those features we covered in your Illustrator training class, or perhaps you want to post the site you built in your Dreamweaver training class, you'll have the resources to review and cherish your hard work..
- Mac OS or Windows...
- All of our computers can run your operating system of choice.
- Small class sizes—by design...
- We pride ourselves on our ability to tailor training examples and emphases on the fly. Since we strictly limit class size, you will not be just another head to count, but rather a learner with whom we're communicating.
- Carefully crafted curricula...
- Constantly updated and refined, and never canned. Here, you'll never be subjected to a mass-produced workbook that is geared for the lowest common denominator. Instead, each class exercise is evaluated and tweaked to be effective and often fun.
We teach the bulk of the Adobe Creative Suite, but that's not the whole story. We also teach classes in photographic workflows, and several classes on "the basics" to get you started in web or desktop publishing. And since we have intentionally small class sizes, we can adapt a course's curriculum on the fly to accommodate that day's attendees. We teach people, not workstations.
- Convenient & comfortable location...
- From the lighting to the full kitchen for lunch and breaks; from your choice of operating system to the expansive deck for catching your breath, you'll feel right at home while you learn. Students even ask us where they can buy our chairs! We're easily accessible from anywhere in the Seattle region.
- Adobe Certified Expert instruction
- Luminous Works classes focusing on Adobe software are taught by Adobe Certified Experts; those who've both mastered the applications they teach and pass rigorous exams to prove it.
We've all heard of knowledgeable experts who haven't the ability to impart their knowledge. You won't encounter that here.