Features Lightroom 4!
In this rigorously thorough class, we'll spend our time learning workflow: from choosing appropriate file formats for image capture, to efficiently downloading images from your camera, through sorting, editing, color/tonal correcting, sharpening, presenting slideshows, and outputing photographic images using Adobe Photoshop Lightroom. We'll even supply a broad assortment of images to work on— no need to haul your gear to class.
We'll stress the ways to "template" the data you use often to copyright and keyword your images and methods to process many images quickly. Once images have been "developed", we will produce both slideshows and web sites from right inside Lightroom! We'll also look at how to get images to Photoshop for those tasks that still require it (HDR, panoramas, composite imagery, etc).
And although we have specific workflow recommendations, we strive to give you the knowledge you need to make your own decisions.
If you wish to explore Photoshop as well, we recommend our Photoshop Essentials class, which may either follow or preceed this class.
what we cover
- Lightroom student
(always customized for the students in attendance)
- Importing and Editing
- view, organize, sort and rate your images
- apply copyright, keywords, "development" settings and other metadata
- organize your images with rankings and labels
- apply location data via GPS or drag-and-drop
- process images for clients and the web with high efficiency
- Master digital development and do what no darkroom ever could—and work nondestructively!
- control the color of light after the shoot
- recover nearly lost shadow and highlight detail
- sharpen with finesse
- grayscale conversion and split toning
- hue shifts
- use Lightroom with JPEGs and TIFFs as well as dealing with Raw files, especially DNGs (Digital Negatives)
- Use Lightroom Catalogs to move images amongst several computers
- segregate separate bodies of work
- go from your laptop in the field to your desktop in the studio
- how to archive your images
- Get images from camera to client: shortcuts and tips to prepare images for their final destination.
- preparing presets and shortcuts up front for high speed later
- what to do, and what to blow off
- Create Slideshows
- Export web photo galleries with Lightroom's templates or your own
- Print final images or drafts or contact sheets with equal ease
- Print with managed color and sharpness
- color management essentials for imaging professionals
- loading, finding, and using profiles when printing and exporting
- Correct color consistently and re-editably: how to use Lightroom's Development system
- Save and even recover delicate highlights and shadows
- Saturate or tone down difficult hues
- Reversably (!) make black and white images from your color ones
- Simulate traditional photographic processes in adjustable, reproducible ways.
- new technology, classic look and feel
- create your own recipe
- share your recipe with others
- Retouch and restore images nondestructively
- Light retouching
- Cropping and straightening
- input sharpening
- output sharpening
- Confidently share your images with others
- Exporting to different file formats and automating that process
Lightroom 4 Photo Workflow—two days— $525
To register, click on a starting date
At Luminous Works, you get . . .
- Free class refresher within 12 months...
- Take it again! Within 12 months of any class that is still offered in that time, just get in touch and let us know when you want to audit. If there's a seat available, it's yours. Please read the full details
- Bring home your work...
- Bring home your class files so you can practice what you learn with us. These training files often contain valuable tips and procedures, as well as what you may have created during class. Whether you want to show off the images from your photography class, the chapter you built in your InDesign training class, or you want to explore those features we covered in your Illustrator training class, or perhaps you want to post the site you built in your Dreamweaver training class, you'll have the resources to review and cherish your hard work..
- Mac OS or Windows...
- All of our computers can run your operating system of choice.
- Small class sizes—by design...
- We pride ourselves on our ability to tailor training examples and emphases on the fly. Since we strictly limit class size, you will not be just another head to count, but rather a learner with whom we're communicating.
- Carefully crafted curricula...
- Constantly updated and refined, and never canned. Here, you'll never be subjected to a mass-produced workbook that is geared for the lowest common denominator. Instead, each class exercise is evaluated and tweaked to be effective and often fun.
We teach the bulk of the Adobe Creative Suite, but that's not the whole story. We also teach classes in photographic workflows, and several classes on "the basics" to get you started in web or desktop publishing. And since we have intentionally small class sizes, we can adapt a course's curriculum on the fly to accommodate that day's attendees. We teach people, not workstations.
- Convenient & comfortable location...
- From the lighting to the full kitchen for lunch and breaks; from your choice of operating system to the expansive deck for catching your breath, you'll feel right at home while you learn. Students even ask us where they can buy our chairs! We're easily accessible from anywhere in the Seattle region.
- Adobe Certified Expert instruction
- Luminous Works classes focusing on Adobe software are taught by Adobe Certified Experts; those who've both mastered the applications they teach and pass rigorous exams to prove it.
We've all heard of knowledgeable experts who haven't the ability to impart their knowledge. You won't encounter that here.