WordPress is a free publishing platform that allows you to create a blog or web site in a short period of time. Launched in 2003, WordPress has taken the web by storm, and it now runs millions of sites worldwide. WordPress is quick to set up, and highly customizable. This class is a practical, hands-on introduction to WordPress in which we will create a new account at WordPress.com, create a simple blog, customize its appearance — and by the end of the day, convert our blog into a functional web site. This class is designed for people with little or no experience in WordPress who want to get up and running fast. Some knowledge of HTML and other web technologies is helpful, but not necessary.
Basic computer skills (Click here to show a list of these)
Some basic knowledge of HTML and CSS are helpful but not required
- Locate and launch a software application when directed.
- In the Mac OS, use the Dock or the Applications folder to do so
- Quit/Exit programs.
- Work with document windows (minimizing, closing, and hiding them). Windows | Mac
- Switch between two or more open applications or between two or more documents open in the same application.
- Understand where Menu commands are and how they're referenced (e.g., the Save command is under the File menu. This might be written as "File>Save" or spoken like "File...Save"). Windows | Mac
- Use and access "context menus": the menus you get when you right-click (Windows) or control-click (Mac).
Note: Macs can also use a right-click when a multi-button mouse is attached or the Mouse System Preference settings for the Mac Mighty Mouse are configured to use a "secondary click".
- Create and Save new documents to any specified location on an internal or external hard drive.
- Locate documents on a hard drive.
- Create and rename folders and create folder hierarchies (folders inside folders...).
- Move or copy documents to any specified location on a hard drive or flash memory device.
- Rename documents.
- Open documents from a specified location.
- Burn a CD of of whatever files you choose. Windows | Mac
who should take this class?
- You! If you want to to create and maintain a web presence with minimal headaches
what we cover
- what is WordPress?
- creating a free blog through WordPress.com
- logging in and managing your account
- using WordPress to manage your blog
- using WordPress as a content management system (CMS) for your website
- Basics of Blogging
- creating a new post
- adding text
- adding images
- adding URLs and links
- publishing a post
- editing the HTML
- categories, tags, excerpts
- Customizing the Appearance
- changing logo and tagline
- changing the banner image
- adding custom sidebars and footers
- creating a custom menu
- understanding posts and pages
- creating a page
- modifiying a page
- creating page hierarchies
- creating a custom menu
- finding themes
- swtiching themes
- customizing themes
- managing images and other media
- adding video from sources such as YouTube and Vimeo
- Shifting to self-hosting
- thinking about self-hosting
- requirements for self-hosting
- transferring a WordPress.com hosted site to a self-hosted one
- 10 powerful plugins every WordPress site should have
- adding SEO functionality
- adding a contact form
- web stats at you fingertips
- social media plugin for integration with Facebook, Twitter and others
- image galleries
- translating your site into other languages
- searching for plugins that add powerful functionality with one click
- Customization Beyond the Dashboard
- limits to theme customization through the Dashboard
- purchasing third party themes and installing them
- creating your own themes visually using tools such as Artisteer
WordPress Level 1—one day— $275
To register, click on a starting date
At Luminous Works, you get . . .
- Free class refresher within 12 months...
- Take it again! Within 12 months of any class that is still offered in that time, just get in touch and let us know when you want to audit. If there's a seat available, it's yours. Please read the full details
- Bring home your work...
- Bring home your class files so you can practice what you learn with us. These training files often contain valuable tips and procedures, as well as what you may have created during class. Whether you want to show off the images from your photography class, the chapter you built in your InDesign training class, or you want to explore those features we covered in your Illustrator training class, or perhaps you want to post the site you built in your Dreamweaver training class, you'll have the resources to review and cherish your hard work..
- Mac OS or Windows...
- All of our computers can run your operating system of choice.
- Small class sizes—by design...
- We pride ourselves on our ability to tailor training examples and emphases on the fly. Since we strictly limit class size, you will not be just another head to count, but rather a learner with whom we're communicating.
- Carefully crafted curricula...
- Constantly updated and refined, and never canned. Here, you'll never be subjected to a mass-produced workbook that is geared for the lowest common denominator. Instead, each class exercise is evaluated and tweaked to be effective and often fun.
We teach the bulk of the Adobe Creative Suite, but that's not the whole story. We also teach classes in photographic workflows, and several classes on "the basics" to get you started in web or desktop publishing. And since we have intentionally small class sizes, we can adapt a course's curriculum on the fly to accommodate that day's attendees. We teach people, not workstations.
- Convenient & comfortable location...
- From the lighting to the full kitchen for lunch and breaks; from your choice of operating system to the expansive deck for catching your breath, you'll feel right at home while you learn. Students even ask us where they can buy our chairs! We're easily accessible from anywhere in the Seattle region.
- Adobe Certified Expert instruction
- Luminous Works classes focusing on Adobe software are taught by Adobe Certified Experts; those who've both mastered the applications they teach and pass rigorous exams to prove it.
We've all heard of knowledgeable experts who haven't the ability to impart their knowledge. You won't encounter that here.