This class is for people who already have experience with WordPress and want to create a fully custom theme. We will start off with a Photoshop file and convert it into an HTML/CSS layout, which we will then convert into a functional WordPress site. You should have experience hand-coding HTML and CSS. After taking this class, you will be able to turn your own design files (built in Photoshop, Illustrator, Fireworks, or similar) into fully custom WordPress sites.
who should take this class?
- People who want to take their WordPress skills up to the next level
- Web designers
- Web developers
- Content managers
what we cover—in detail
(always customized for the students in attendance)
- examining design file in Photoshop
- using Slice tool to create slices
- exporting slices
- examining slices
- Building Layout
- building layout file using HTML and CSS
- styling sidebar, navigation, headers, footer and main content areas
- WordPress Setup
- using Bitnami to create a local development environment
- other options: MAMP, WAMP
- WordPress Structure
- Anatomy of a WordPress site
- Examining HTML, CSS, PHP and MySQL Database
- Custom Theme
- starting off with a blank theme
- integrating the HTML code and content
- integrating the CSS code
- creating Pages
- creating Posts
- styling Pages and Posts
- Expanding Theme
- making menu dynamic so that it can be managed through Dashboard
- widgetizing sidebar so that it can be managed through Dashboard
- styling other pages such as: Search Results, 404 Page.
- creating multiple templates with different layouts
- Publishing Site
- important settings
- deploying site from local environment to web server
- securing your WordPress site
- Dreamweaver CC Essentials :
Learn the tool used by nearly all web designers and developers. You'll build a site and bring it home.
- Dreamweaver CC level 2:
Go deeper into Dreamweaver by learning its efficiency tools and features like the use of scripts and more.
- HTML and CSS Level 2:
Go beyond the basics and learn to animate elements on your pages, achieve precise and responsive designs, and much, much more.