We’re working on scheduling the next class in January 2020. Contact us to receive a personal notification when the January class is posted online.
This hands-on class will teach you how to visually tell a story using Adobe Illustrator. Find out more impactful ways to convey your ideas graphically as you progress through structured exercises. We'll conceptualize, plan and create a set of infographics, working though some interrelated projects.With guided instruction, you'll create several layouts for each project. We'll review them as a class on-screen so everyone has a chance to weigh in. You'll bring home all of your class files at the end of the workshop. Bring questions, paper and pencil for sketching, plus a willingness to experiment.
who should take this class?
- Students who have taken our lecture-based Graphic Design Overview, and are now craving hands-on time with instructor feedback.
- Those with technical experience in Illustrator who wish to improve the creativity, impact and effectiveness of their infographics.
- Individuals needing to create more interesting and compelling maps, charts, graphs, icons and logos.
what we cover—in detail
(always customized for the students attending)
- The seven basics: line, color, shape, size, space, texture, and value
- Using color
- Creating mood and tone through color
- Applying fills, strokes and shading for visual impact
- Kerning, spacing and sizing
- Selecting fonts that best express the tone, purpose, and readability of the design
- Editing shapes
- Using the selection and direct selection tools, rotate, shear and flip.
- Using the Pathfinder tool, grouping and arranging functions.
- Hands-on projects—Creating:
- Containers and shapes
- Borders and strokes
- Fills, custom lines, patterns
- Custom shapes, editing existing shapes, adding dimension and shading to objects.
- Building the designs
- We'll start with some rough sketching to explore and plan out our ideas, eventually creating 4 digital icons/infographics—plus a logo—that convey a visual cohesiveness. We'll then begin incorporating them into a collateral piece (as time allows), adding type and color to convey a clear, easy to read message.
We are working on scheduling the next class in January 2020. Contact us to receive a personal notification when the January class is posted online.