Learn the specific steps to creating well-designed layouts. Our expert guidance will give you the confidence and skills to advance your design abilities. We'll cover concepting, the ins and outs of typographic choices, best practices for layout structure, making smart color choices, appropriate image selection, and how to utilize graphics for the greatest impact.This class is super hands-on! With Instructor Jason, we'll look at and discus all students' work, create several layouts for each project and review them as a group on-screen. You'll bring home all of your class files at the end of the workshop. Bring any questions about InDesign, paper and pencil for sketching, plus a willingness to experiment.
who should take this class?
- Students craving hands-on time with instructor feedback after taking our lecture-based Graphic Design Basics.
- Those comfortable in the InDesign software (like students of our InDesign CC Essentials), but wanting to achieve effective design skills.
what we cover—in detail
(always customized for the students attending)
- Creating Structure
- Organizing the foundation of your layout (type, images, shapes and content) through a "grid" system
- Selecting fonts that best express the tone and purpose of the layout
- Text flow through multiple pages
- Creating headlines and subheads
- Supporting your content
- Utilizing the essence of graphic design; space, hierarchy, dominance, unity, balance, scale, proportion and contrast.
- Concepting: core principles for making content decisions
- Color choices that support the purpose of your design
- Choosing appropriate images that tie Layout and Concept together
- Using color, shapes, fills and strokes to enhance, not distract!
- Executing the design concept
- Applying our basic concepts and "grid" structure, we will design and build two projects, working through a simple to a more complex layout. We'll examine and evaluate the design at subsequent steps, checking the the layout's success at expressing and supporting the content's message to it's audience.
- The projects (content will be suppled):
- A two-page spread.
- A supporting collateral piece.
- We may do more if time allows, or the class progresses quickly.
Steve’s newest book! Adobe InDesign CC: A Complete Course and Compendium of Features is your guide to building publications great or small in this ubiquitous page layout application. Contains a complete Course that includes a set of projects and lessons derived from his classes, learn the procedures needed to use InDesign professionally.
Dozens of lessons are included that can be applied to any document: engineering proposals, marketing collateral, spec sheets, magazines, newsletters, books, and more. Through these step-by-step lessons, you’ll be exposed to all of InDesign’s features in practical contexts and its best practices for publishing workflows.
Print version coming in May 2019; Kindle and Apple Books versions available now.