Move beyond the basics and learn how to master this powerful, flexible software to its best advantage. In this intermediate level class, we differentiate the functions of master pages, libraries, and the various styles. We determine how to use each to its best advantage, and how to combine them in a publication. We also tame other pro-level features required to build robust publications for a variety of traditional and mobile, interactive media. Specifically:
what we cover—in detail
(always customized for the students attending)
- Advanced Paragraph Styles
- building sophisticated Nested and Line Styles
- GREP styles (which go far beyond mere "find/replace") to consistently format predicted content
- It can do that?! Keep Options and more
- Anchored Objects
- attach images and text frames to a postion in your text
- create your own fancy drop caps
- master this key feature of ePubs
- Object styles
- take global control of graphic and text frames
- standardize attributes like shadows, text frame inset, colors, strokes, and much more
- use object styles with anchored objects for powerful and flexible layouts
- Learn how to use InDesign's Book features
- creating and using book files
- pitfalls and how to avoid them
- book files for more than just books!
- Tables of Contents
- build TOCs quickly and reliably
- prepare your print publication for ePub or print or both
- Interactive Features and Publish Online
- add motion and interactivity to electronic publications
- view InDesign documents in a browser for proofing or final consumption
- embedded these electronic publications in your own website
- Truly master Master Pages
- the difference between overriding and detaching
- masters applied to masters: how much is too much?
- markers, text variables, and masters
- Templates vs Layers vs Libraries vs Styles: strategizing the building of documents
- Build reliable templates that speed up production
- turn a cacaphony of features into a harmonious workflow
- developing your optimal workflow
Steve’s newest book! Adobe InDesign CC: A Complete Course and Compendium of Features is your guide to building publications great or small in this ubiquitous page layout application. Contains a complete Course that includes a set of projects and lessons derived from his classes, learn the procedures needed to use InDesign professionally.
Dozens of lessons are included that can be applied to any document: engineering proposals, marketing collateral, spec sheets, magazines, newsletters, books, and more. Through these step-by-step lessons, you’ll be exposed to all of InDesign’s features in practical contexts and its best practices for publishing workflows.
Print version coming in May 2019; Kindle and Apple Books versions available now.