Expand your "visual vocabulary" by delving deeper into Photoshop's toolset to create highly original images. This intermediate-level class is a logical "next step" for those who've taken our Essentials class and who now want to explore the creative possibilities that Photoshop supports. In this class, you'll learn to apply most of the layer functions (Layer Masks, Adjustment Layers, Blending Modes, Clipping Masks, and Opacity)—as well as other important features—to create original and composite images. You'll also how learn to create your own images from scratch.
who should take this class?
- Designers who want to combine images, textures, and color in new and creative ways.
- Photographers or Illustrators perfecting their photo-illustration and digital skills
- Anyone who wants to broaden their creative and technical capabilities to produce more striking imagery.
what we cover—in detail
(always customized for the students attending)
- Are there features or techniques that puzzle and intrigue? When you register for this class, be sure to let us know so we can prepare examples.
- Isolating even the most complex portions of images
- methods for separating wispy subjects from their backgrounds (hair, vegetation, etc.)
- borrowing from film-makers: chromakey and similar techniques
- Allowing images to blend creatively and predictably
- The amazing power of blending modes
- Hidden masking techniques
- Mask and blend contextually and automatically
- Learn how 3D can be part of your creative workflow
- The basics: using and creating 3D models, lights, cameras, and, yes, action
- Enhance type with depth
- Composite 3D models with photographs
- Mastering Smart Objects and Layer Groups
- resize and transform elements without fear
- "merge" layers nondestructively
- apply filters re-editably
- Link to frequently used assets
- Use Layer Styles Strategically & Efficiently
- Mastering Layer Styles/Effects
- not just drop shadows!
- add dimension and depth
- texturize layers
- simulate various materials