In this thorough class, we'll spend our time learning workflow: from choosing appropriate file formats for image capture, to efficiently downloading images from your camera, through sorting, editing, color/tonal correcting, sharpening, presenting slideshows, and outputing photographic images using Adobe Photoshop Lightroom. We'll even supply a broad assortment of images to work on— no need to haul your gear to class.
We'll stress the ways to "template" the data you use often to copyright and keyword your images and methods to process many images quickly. Once images have been "developed", we will produce both slideshows and websites from right inside Lightroom! We'll also look at how to get images to Photoshop for those tasks that still require it (HDR, panoramas, composite imagery, etc).
And although we have specific workflow recommendations, we strive to give you the knowledge you need to make your own decisions.
what we cover—in detail
(always customized for the students attending)
- Importing and Editing
- view, organize, sort and rate your images
- apply copyright, keywords, "development" settings and other metadata
- organize your images with rankings and labels
- apply location data via GPS or drag-and-drop
- process images for clients and the web with high efficiency
- Master digital development and do what no darkroom ever could—and work nondestructively!
- control the color of light after the shoot
- recover nearly lost shadow and highlight detail
- sharpen with finesse
- grayscale conversion and split toning
- hue shifts
- use Lightroom with JPEGs and TIFFs as well as dealing with Raw files, especially DNGs (Digital Negatives)
- Use Lightroom Catalogs to move images amongst several computers
- segregate separate bodies of work
- go from your laptop in the field to your dektop in the studio
- how to archive your images
- Get images from camera to client: shortcuts and tips to prepare images for their final destination.
- preparing presets and shortcuts up front for high speed later
- what to do, and what to blow off
- Create Slideshows
- Export web photo galleries with Lightroom's templates or your own
- Print final images or drafts or contact sheets with equal ease
- Print with managed color and sharpness
- color management essentials for imaging professionals
- loading, finding, and using profiles when printing and exporting
- Correct color consistently and re-editably: how to use Lightroom's Development system
- Save and even recover delicate highlights and shadows
- Saturate or tone down difficult hues
- Reversibly (!) make black and white images from your color ones
- Simulate traditional photographic processes in adjustable, reproducible ways.
- new technology, classic look and feel
- create your own recipe
- share your recipe with others
- Retouch and restore images nondestructively
- Light retouching
- Cropping and straightening
- input sharpening
- output sharpening
- Confidently share your images with others
- Exporting to different file formats and automating that process