Insightful tips & tutorials
Short, sweet, and casual. Tips and tutorials from us, the folks of Luminous Works.
- Photoshop: The Myths of Lab Mode
The Lab color model is wonderful. After all, it represents human vision. But there are claims made about why Photoshop users need it for color and tonal correction. Here, we try to set things straight. Warning: it's a little cranky.
- Lab is warped, an article by Pat Herold of Chromix, is a fun and informative look at the color space behind the ones we know: RGB and CMYK. A few reminders of the basics thrown in make a worth a look for anyone into color.
- InDesign: Ridding Your Text of Runts
Those annoying short words on their own line at the end of paragraphs are frequently called "runts" and this tip will help you prevent them.
- InDesign: maintain the same content in multiple places with Place and Link
Whether it's layered fonts or other reasons, you just sometimes need to have the same text in multiple places. This tip will make that easier.
- Equalizing Shapes in InDesign
Different sizes of objects got you down? This will make life easy—fast!
- Illustrator: What are they hiding?
a curmudgeonly one-take wonder about the many useful features in Adobe Illustrator that are oddly hidden from view.
- In Praise of InDesign Tabs
a glowingly positive take on how lowly tabs can make one's life oh so much easier and your docs prettier
- The Adobe Pen Tool (48 min) video. Remember to download the Illustrator file (right-click, Save as). On YouTube, derived from our half-day class.
- Key elements of Color Management
On Vimeo, from our former fun class on the topic.
- CSS Sprites
A little background on a cool topic (pun intended)
Photoshop User Group
Download Steve's Photoshop presentation of 18 April 2017
Recommended Books and Gear
Please, find a local bookseller, or use these amazon links...
Web Design ResourcesClick to Show or Hide them
Nuts & Bolts
- World Wide Web Consortium (W3C)
- What is Web Accessibility?
- Dive into Accessibility
- W3C XHTML Validation Service
- W3C CSS Validation Service
Web Design Daily Reading
- CSS Basics
- CSS Reference Guide
- Current CSS Layout Techniques
- CSS Positioning in 10 steps
- CSS Image Replacement
- CSS Hacks
- Position Is Everything
- CSS Based Forms
- Listamatic (great nav resources)
Tutorials, Tips & Tricks
HTML5 & CSS3:
The Future is Here-ish
- Check your browser's score against others
- HTML5 Rocks
- W3C Conference Presentations
- Test your browser's support
- Modernizr: Build truly forward-compatible sites with provision for the laggards
- Samples from Remy Sharp and Apple
- The Elements of Typographic Style Applied to the Web
- Common Fonts
- Headline Samples Gallery
- Sane CSS typography
- Wanna use more fonts than Arial, Georgia & friends? This is the sanest, most usable, cross browser method yet.
Firefox and extensions
Utilities & Toys
- Google Search
- Make a FavIcon
- Hivelogic Enkoder Form
- Robot Control Generation Tool
- My Mac Hero
- Awesome Mac tech advice and assistance
- Adobe software updates.
- Adobe software forums
- Your questions may have been asked before. Some of the more common ones, and other users' solutions, may be found here.
- Color Management Services: Chromix
- Need color profiles for your printing devices? One of our cherished partners, Chromix, has revved their Color Valet service to make profiling your output devices more painless than ever.
Friends (presented in no order whatsoever)
- Studio 5 Innovation
- A full service firm for web design, graphic design, photography, video, SEO, apps, social media marketing and more. —and they're friends!
- Majestic Bay Theater
- gorgeous, locally owned
- True North Coffee Roasters
- Good coffee, great folks, fine neighbors. Smell that delightful smell during class!
- Evolution Press
- In a time that is seeing a resurgence of letterpress printing, this place really stands out. Absolutely first rate stuff. If you like print, you'll love their letterpress work! They made our cards.
- Christy Pelland
- Photography (especially wedding photography) with a unique vision by a warm and wonderful human.
- Andiamo Tours
- Every creative person needs to recharge. Where better to do that than in Italy? The tours from Paola's Andiamo Tours are perfect!
- Adam Crowley
- Adam is a fun and fine guy—and great photographer. Of course he's available for hire and has a rich collection of images for purchase, too.
- Sharon Swanson
- Sharon does lovely illustration and design. Go ahead, take a look at this fine human's work.
- Jennifer Nerad
- If you've had an InDesign class here, you may already know our dear Jennifer. Check out her art—we love it!
- Lou Cuevas
- Photographer and pal Lou is also the landlord to Luminous Works' classroom. A fine host, and excellent photographer, he is.
Other training resources
If you are looking for other types of training, check out the training-classes.com directory of career training